Choral conductors, born no earlier than 1989, are eligible for participation in the competition.
Winners of the first prizes in Jāzeps Vītols 4th and 5th International Choral Conductors Competition can not apply.
Competitors have to participate in all rounds of the competition they have qualified for and in all rehearsals and concerts.
The competition consists of three rounds. Conductors having been chosen in pre-selection and having been invited to participate in the competition will take part in Round I.
According to the decision of the Jury:
- no more than eight competitors will proceed to Round II;
- no more than four participants will proceed to Round III.
The Mixed Choir of Jāzeps Vītols Latvian Academy of Music (JVLMA) participates in Round I, the Riga Chamber Choir Ave Sol and the Latvian Radio Choir participate in Round II, the State Choir Latvija, the Mixed Choir and the Symphony Orchestra of JVLMA participate in Round III.
The order of the performance for Round I and music/title of the composition is chosen by drawing lots before each round.
- Conducting with the piano
- Work with the Mixed Choir of JVLMA
- Rehearsal with the Latvian Radio Choir
- Rehearsal with the Riga Chamber Choir Ave Sol
- Concert with the Latvian Radio Choir and Riga Chamber Choir Ave Sol
- Rehearsal with the State Choir Latvija, the Mixed Choir and the Symphony Orchestra of JVLMA
The selected programme for the Round I should be stated in the application form.
Recording – broadcasting
The candidates accept without remuneration the recording of the competition for any uses on radio, television and the Internet, live, recorded or in streaming with the exception of commercial exploitation.